Harley Benton HBZ-2005 Deluxe Series emerges as a game-changer in the bass community, offering an irresistible blend of affordability and high-quality craftsmanship.
With its eye-catching natural matte finish and a construction that promises both durability and superb sound, this instrument is awesome for all-level bassists.
Out of my experience, it’s rare to find a 5-string bass that feels as good as it looks without breaking the bank.
Let’s take a close look on that model.
About Harley Benton HBZ-2005
Diving deeper into the specifics, the Harley Benton HBZ-2005 isn’t just another bass in the market. It’s a work of art, featuring ovangkol sides and a 7-piece mahogany, maple, and nato neck that not only ensures durability but also contributes to its distinct sound character.
The black walnut fretboard adorned with oval mother-of-pearl inserts enhances playability while adding a touch of elegance. Equipped with two ceramic bar single coils and active sound control, it provides a wide array of tones suitable for any genre.
The black hardware and die-cast machine heads ensure reliability and precision tuning, making it a solid choice for performers who demand the best. Whether you’re grooving in the studio or rocking out on stage, the HBZ-2005 promises to be a versatile companion.
Who Should Get It
The Harley Benton HBZ-2005 is not just another instrument in the vast sea of bass guitars; it’s a versatile powerhouse suited for a variety of players and styles.
Based on my extensive experience with various basses, here’s who I believe would benefit the most from this exceptional instrument:
- Intermediate to Advanced Players: With its advanced features like active sound control and a complex neck-thru-body design, the HBZ-2005 is perfect for players who have a good grasp of their musicality and are looking to explore a wider range of tones and techniques.
- Recording Artists: The precision and clarity offered by the ceramic bar single coils, combined with the active EQ, make it an excellent choice for studio work. It delivers a clean, articulate sound that can fit into any mix with ease.
- Live Performers: Its robust build and reliable hardware make it a workhorse on stage. Whether you’re playing small gigs or large venues, this bass can withstand the rigors of touring.
- Genre Versatile Musicians: From jazz and blues to rock and metal, the HBZ-2005’s wide tonal range can cover a broad spectrum of genres. It’s particularly suited for players who find themselves hopping from one musical style to another.
- Bassists Looking for a Unique Aesthetic: Beyond its sound, the natural matte finish and the elegant mother-of-pearl inlays make it a visually stunning instrument that stands out from the crowd.
- Versatility: Its wide tonal range makes it suitable for almost any genre.
- Durability: Constructed with quality materials, it’s built to last.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Unique design elements make it visually striking.
- Advanced Features: Active electronics and neck-thru-body design cater to the needs of more experienced players.
Whether you’re a seasoned pro looking to add to your collection or an ambitious intermediate aiming to step up your game, the Harley Benton HBZ-2005 offers a compelling combination of performance, aesthetics, and value that’s hard to beat.
For those who want to find more cool guitars made by Harley Benton, check out my post about 6 Best Harley Benton Basses.
For those who want to know everything about that model, here’s a little table with all relevant specs.
|Mahogany / Maple / Nato
|Number of Frets
|864 mm (Long Scale)
|2 Ceramic Bar Single Coils
|Active Sound Control
|16 mm String Spacing
|Factory String Gauge
|.045″ – .125″
My Experience With Harley Benton
Throughout the last couple of years, I tested a lot of guitars – including models made by Harley Benton.
And out of my experience, their gear is just great. Especially the models from the higher shelf like the HBZ-2005.
Even the cheapest Bentons tend to be good, so when you pay a bit extra (which isn’t even considered as expensive), you get an amazing value for the money.
I had the pleasure to test out one of their cheapset basses – the JB-20 – and it made a really good impression on me.
So personally, I’m a huge fan of that brand. My experience with their gear has always been very positive and I’m planning to test more of their gear in the future.
For those who want to check out my gear reviews, visit my YouTube channel called Best Guitars Now.
- Is the Harley Benton HBZ-2005 suitable for beginners? While it’s geared more towards intermediate and advanced players, ambitious beginners looking for an instrument to grow into might also find it appealing.
- Can the active electronics be bypassed for a passive tone? The HBZ-2005 is designed with active electronics for tone shaping, and it does not include a passive bypass out of the box.
- What genres does the HBZ-2005 best suit? Thanks to its versatile tone control, it can seamlessly fit into genres ranging from jazz and blues to rock and heavy metal.
- How does the neck-thru-body design affect the sound? This design enhances sustain and resonance, providing a fuller and more cohesive sound across all frets.
- Are the pickups noiseless? The ceramic bar single coils are designed to minimize hum, providing a clearer and more focused tone.
- How does the weight compare to other basses? The HBZ-2005 is relatively lightweight, thanks to its thoughtful design, making it comfortable for extended playing sessions.
- What is the advantage of the ovangkol sides? Ovangkol offers a rich and warm tonal quality, contributing to the bass’s overall sound character.
- Can I adjust the string action easily? Yes, the bridge design allows for easy adjustment of string height and spacing to suit your playing comfort.
The Harley Benton HBZ-2005 is more than just a bass; it’s a testament to what modern craftsmanship can achieve at an accessible price point. Its combination of a striking aesthetic, versatile sound, and robust build quality makes it a formidable choice for players across the spectrum.
Whether you’re laying down grooves in the studio or commanding the stage, this bass delivers performance that could easily command a higher price tag.
In the world of bass guitars, where value and quality don’t always go hand in hand, the HBZ-2005 stands as a beacon for both seasoned players and those looking to make a serious entry into the world of bass.
Out of my experience, it’s a bass that not only meets expectations but exceeds them, offering a playing experience that’s as rewarding as it is inspiring.